Are you reading my mind? Or are you getting lost in it?

Don't presume you know me, cos I sure as hell don't.

Monday, May 29, 2006

ITS A GOOOOAAAALLLLL!!!!!

That line is one of few that will be echoed over and over again for the whole of next month when the World Cup takes place in Germany. Though I've lost touched with soccer for a long long time, the world cup fever still gets to me one way or another.

Its not only the game that intrigues me but the atmosphere of the whole tournament. Other than the Olympics, which other sport on the globe dare boast such huge viewership? In my opinion, the world cup gives me the opportunity to have a glimpse of real world peace and human unity. Throughout history, we have proof that even wars slow down to a halt during the world cup finals. People from around the world have centre their attention on soccer for the few months before, during and after the finals.

Hooligan fans aside, most fans boo at the same bad decisions a referee makes, the same irrate player who commits the worse fouls and feels the agony when a ball accidentally hits a groin (Ouch). Such is the potential of the human population. The ability to unite and agree with each other and stand on common ground.

Maybe it won't happen in my lifetime but maybe it will for my children. The day the world realise that we are all not so different from each other, then we will all work together for a better future for mankind (and womankind :P) Till then, I can only have a vague glimpse of this one united world from the World Cup.

I hope Brazil wins...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home