Are you reading my mind? Or are you getting lost in it?

Don't presume you know me, cos I sure as hell don't.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Time again...

Call me weird but I've always been intrigued by the concept of time manipulation. One of my favourite movies is the 'Back to the Future' trilogy. (No...I didn't read time machine, I was too young to read books of that kind of level).

I mean let's face it, we have no control over time at all. It just comes and goes. Its like standing still in the middle of a huge rushing river. You can't experience the water that hasn't reach you yet and neither can you regain the sensation of which has washed past you. You're helpless against time. Even if you are an immortal, you merely are able to stand eternally in that river. (Us mortals get eroded and flow away with time, soon to be forgotten once out of sight) What if we could move through time like a boat on the rushing water? What would you do?

What kind of technologies would we have in the future? Will the universe end? What will my children look like? What about the past? How did the universe start? How did the dinosaurs die? What were my parents like when they were growing up? All sorts of questions that I would like answered...

Which brings me to another question- How will my life turn out if I could go back and change things? Ok, I know having to go through primary 1 maths can be extremely boring but that's not the point. What if you knew who your real friends were? Will you still want to be close to those who betrayed you? Will you spend more time with your relatives whom you know will be passing away in due time? There's so many thing I know I'd like to do differently, erase some experience that scarred me horridly, undo some things that embarrassed me. But yet, all these experience would make me the person I am today. No matter how distasteful how some of them were, I don't want to see the world as a 5 year old.

So if I don't really want to change my life, could I help other people with their's? I've thought about that before too. 'The butterfly effect' is one such movie that comes to mind whenever I think about this. Aston Kusher acted as this guy who found that he has the ability to go back to keypoints in his life and alter history. He tried to make his life better then he tried to make his girlfriend's life better. Unfortunately, things just got more and more screwed up the more he tried. Eventually, the best course of life was to sever all ties with his girlfriend... So will I change another person's life? I doubt so. There are so many unknown factors that may happen if the course of history is tempered with. By changing one known page, we run the risk of creating a multitude of unknown outcomes. Will we be able to live with the consequences? What if the day you make yourself run back home just to be at your grandma's deathbed resulted in your friend getting run down by a truck?

Just like the peace after a storm... that's how I feel on the aftermath of the tornado of questions my mind kicks up. Things come to a conclusion. I'd remember that the way I want to live my life. I don't want to have regrets. I don't live each day as though its the last. No, that is actually too tiring. Instead, I cherish what I have, every single moment. I don't want to be an old man who looks back at his own life and asks 'what ifs'. So if you're reading this, don't hestitate to show or tell your loved ones how you feel. Don't try to save something for that special occasion. You may never know when will be the day you get washed away by the currents.

1 Comments:

Blogger rinaz said...

Quantum physics is something that facinates mankind for a long time now.

The possibilities of having time to retract and to re-enact the situations that we would have gone though. The thought of it alone is very enthralling.

Sometimes we think about what will happen. But during that event, we will lose something along the way. Thoughts and memories that we were to forget if we didnt experience what we have now.

Perhaps its good that we dont have time travel after all.

Mon May 15, 09:55:00 pm GMT+8  

Post a Comment

<< Home