Are you reading my mind? Or are you getting lost in it?

Don't presume you know me, cos I sure as hell don't.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

The Sultan and I.


The camp made arrangements for any camp personnel for a visit at the Brunei Royal Palace today and tomorrow. Since I won't be able to make it tomorrow, I had to go today. But little old me had to be a pig today and oversleep... end up the 'bus' had to wait for me... so malu... anyway, it didn't make much difference since there was so many people at the Istana. The palace wasn't as glam as I thought it would be. Unlike the Singapore Istana which is full of Colonial flavour, the Brunei Istana is kinda modern and yet instills Muslim architecture. So it looks kinda like a science entre cum stadium cum mosque... I can't really put my finger on it. One thing for sure. the place is huge. I think the compound alone is lareger than Singapore's by at least twice.




There were tons of people at the gates when we arrived. We took a short stroll into the security screening area so as to see the landscaping of the palace. Couldn't see much because we're on the wrong side of the road. Once we cleared the security, I found myself at the start of a buffet queue. Not that I wanted to eat but apparently, the Sultan was generous to offer food for the people oming to visit him. Its obvious that it'll be a long wait before getting to shake his hand so the food was a very considerate thought. After eating, I immediately joined in the queue again to see the Sultan. It took me 90 mins of winding in and out of buildings before meeting His Royal Highness. I took the opportunity to take some pictures of the palace. There was one particular hall I liked. It look a little like a chapel from the inside. I thought I saw balloons floating at the ceiling when I walked it but realised that they were glass structures. They refracted the lights and looked almost like huge and delicate chandelier.




When I finally got to the last door, I started to get nervous. I wondered how I should act in front of royalty and if I would offend him and get thrown into some secret dungeon below the palace. Fortunately, the meeting lasted for a few seconds. I shook HRM and bowed to him and was ushered off to shake hands with his deligates. Included in the royal deligates are his brother as well as the crown prince of Brunei. 90 mins of agonizing waiting, 30 seconds of anxiety and anticipation and finally 10 seconds of receiving royal blessings. Not that I'm complaining about anything; I am in no position to complain. I had comfy seats offered to me at certain parts of the wait but HM and the royal delegates where standing for a few hours just to shake hands with the people. I couldn't take pictures of the Sultan because cameras weren't allowed into the room where he was. Wouldn't it be nice to hang a picture of me shaking hands with the Sultan of Brunei in my room for keepsake? Oh shit...I forgot to pluck a leg hair off the crown prince for Fion... Sorry girl, I didn't have the chance anyway. Unless you want to see me behind bars for a few decades over a single strand of hair...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home