Are you reading my mind? Or are you getting lost in it?

Don't presume you know me, cos I sure as hell don't.

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Saturday Blog

Its the weekends again. Just one more month to go before my return to Singapore. Never thought I'd say this but I do miss everyone. I miss the activities that I can do in Singapore like going for wakeboarding and sing Karaoke (the clean kind...) Not that I didn't cherish Singapore but I just didn't realise that I'm really that fortunate to be living in Singapore. The other thing I hate about working in Brunei is having to deal with the locals. Language barrier is one thing. I think I'll be taking Bahasa lessons soon. The country's system really needs to get some getting used to. I suppose the difference is because Brunei is under patriach sovereignity. The Sultan gives kids free education and a monthly allowance of 100 bucks for stationary! Being born in the correct family can do a lot of good for your life in Brunei. In Singapore, it doesn't really matter if you have poor parents. If you put enough effort into it, you can still make a mark for yourself.

Enough about Brunei, my stay here will be long so I'll have plenty of chances to make the comparions. Just yesterday, (was a public holiday in Brunei) I had to work because there was a briefing for the personnel in RSAF. I re-acquainted myself with the typical singaporean speech. I've noticed before while I was an instructor in Signal Institute that quite a number of Singaporeans punctuated their sentences with Oks and Ks. If I got a dollar from every ok I hear during these 'lectures' I won't even have to buy Toto to become a millionare. I'm not kidding here. I've actually done the counting during one of these speechs before (I was bored...) An hour's worth of 'public speaking' would be decorated with at least 100-200 Oks and Ks. Imagine earning a hundred bucks just for listening to people say oks for and hour.

(P.S: Noticed how my English standard have deteriorated? I've been listening and conversing in broken English regularly for a month... I hope my spelling is still intact...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home